Who is eligible for help from LSNL?
To be eligible for free legal help from Legal Services of North Louisiana Inc., you must:
- Meet certain income and financial requirements, exceptions may be made in extreme hardship cases including handicap, elderly, medical and child care expenses.
- Be a resident of Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, Caldwell, Catahoula, Claiborne, Concordia, Desoto, East Carroll, Franklin, Grant, Jackson, LaSalle, Lincoln, Madison, Morehouse, Natchitoches, Ouachita, Red River, Richland, Sabine, Tensas, Union, Webster, West Carroll or Winn.
- Be involved in a Civil Case. No criminal cases are accepted.
- Be involved in a case which is non-fee generating. If the case is one that a local attorney could earn money from, we cannot handle it unless two (2) local attorneys refuse it (and the applicant is otherwise eligible).
What kind of cases will LSNL handle?
- Automobile and home repairs
- Loan company and credit problems
- Housing - public and private
- Nursing home care
- Medicaid, medical and hospital treatment
- Property problems
- Divorces, child custody, child support and adoptions
- Food stamps, welfare, SSI, Social Security, unemployment benefits, VA
LSNL CANNOT HANDLE CRIMINAL CASES.